Thursday, 9 May 2013

Movie review : The Big Wedding


Yesterday I found myself with nothing to do and I was feeling a bit down so I decided to go to the cinema. The only movie that was on  around the time I got to the cinema was 'The Big Wedding.'


I had seen the posters for this movie around Madrid but I didn't think much of it to be honest. It has quit the  cast of  familiar faces so I was happy to go see it.  Diane Keating has always been a favourite of mine ever since I saw her in  'Father of the Bride.'  I hadn't  seen a movie of hers in a  while so as I waited for the movie to begin I did feel myself looking forward it. 
The first ten minutes of the movie were promising. De Niro had some pretty saucy one liners and his acting as always was  flawless.  I  liked the chemistry between the cast. From there on however, it just felt like just a predictable movie and the script was pretty 'meh'.
I felt like I was familiar with the characters from the beginning because they actors were  typecast to a tee. Katherine Heigl playing a moody, stubborn woman and Robin Williams playing a priest. He was literally playing the same role he had in 'License to Wed.'

Onto the storyline. 

 Alejandro (Ben Barnes) is the adopted son of the  divorced  couple  Don (Robert De Niro) and Ellie (Diane Keaton).  Don and Ellie have two other children -Lyla (Katherine Heigl) and Jared (Topher Grace) . Lyla has a strained relationship with her father and husband. Jared is almost  thirty and a virgin.  Don is now with Bebe ( Susan Surandon). Alejandro is engaged to  Missy (Amanda Seyfried). Missy's parents are not happy about the prospect of having 'beige grand children.' ( Sigh)  His birth mother who is from Columbia and extremely Catholic is coming to the wedding.  Alejandro hasn't told her that his parents are divorced because she will think this is a horrendous sin. So Don and Ellie have to pretend to be married. What could possibly go wrong eh?.. I won't go much further into the plot, if you haven't seen it yet it won't be too hard to imagine what 'chaos' will ensue. 

 The actors did the best they could with their characters in fairness and I didn't hate the movie but it felt like it could have been done a lot better. A wasted opportunity for sure. 
It's only 90 minutes long which is probably why the whole thing felt so rushed and borrowed.

The final nail in the coffin for me with this movie was the music that played during the final scene  which is predictably  everyone dancing at the wedding. 
Michael Bubble's cover of 'Save the last dance for me.' Seriously?!  The exact same music that played out in the final scene of  'The Wedding Date' which is also shock horror,  a  dance scene. This  choice of song was utter laziness. 

As I write this  post I can feel myself becoming frustrated, more and more so by the minute. They had such a wonderful cast on hand and handed them  a script that leaves the audience feeling like they had just watched a  youtube  mash up  of  rom com weddings scenes. 





2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - think I'll be giving this one a miss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!