Monday, 3 February 2014

Chocolate Fudge Cake. Delicious and Vegan.




My moms birthday was coming up and since its pretty much impossible to buy a vegan chocolate cake I decided to make one so that all the family could enjoy some yummy birthday cake. 
I found this recipe on a great blog called Southern In Law . I tweaked the measurements and ingredients  little bit as I  essentially wanted two cakes so I could put some icing in the middle and I made my own applesauce. 
The cake was soon demolished so I think it's safe to say having a  vegan cake doesn't mean you compensate on the the taste.  Everyone commented on how light and fluffy it was.
So here is how I made a truly scrumptious vegan cake. 


I peeled and chopped up four small green apples and added them to a pot with some cold water. I let the water boil until the apples  softened.   I stirred the apples until it became a sauce. Simple! (This is lovely with  ice cream)



I didn't have any greaseproof paper( I knew I'd forget something!) so I spread some vegan butter along the bottom and edges of my cake tin and then I sprinkled some cocoa powder until all the butter was covered. This prevented my cake from sticking to the sides and bottom of the tin. 

 I sived  3/4 of a cup of flour into my mixing bowl along with 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and half a teaspoon of baking soda. The original recipe included 1/4 teaspoon of salt but I  don't add salt  to any of my food. (It's in most foods already!) 


I added half of my applesauce to another mixing bowl. In hindsight I should have prepared some more sauce as I was a little short when I was making the other part of the cake. One teaspoon of vanilla essence and 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar was also thrown into the mix.


 I   whisked the cocoa powder,  flour, baking soda, baking powder together. I did the same with the  applesauce, vanilla and brown sugar combo before pouring it in with the dry ingredients. 
I forgot to take pictures of what my cake mixture looked like, I think I was just so caught up in baking the blogger part of me got lazy. After giving it a good whisk around  I poured the whole lot into my cake tin and put it into the oven at 180 degrees celsius.  I have a fan oven so I didn't need to preheat it. I left it in there for about 20 minutes as it's not a huge cake. 

I then started the process all over again to make the other part of my cake! 

   Now onto the frosting. I used 3  tablespoons of dairy free butter, 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, a cup of icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence to make the frosting.  I added all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and stirred them until it became frosting. It's as easy as that. If your frosting mixture or cake mixture feels a little dry to you then add a little bit of water or non dairy milk. I used some Alpro Rice milk. 








CAKE!




After I removed my cakes from the oven,  I placed them on a wire tray in order for them to cool down. I waited about 40mins to put on the frosting. I would have waited a little longer but I was running against the clock. 
I spread lots of Betty Crocker chocolate fudge icing on top of my first cake and then placed the other cake on top. I put some of my own frosting all over the top and sides and added some sprinkles.


My mom is currently working her way through Breaking Bad so we printed out Walt and Jesse's faces and stuck them on some cocktail sticks and then I added some blue sugar which looked like the infamous blue meth crystals.  I hadn't baked anything in a good five years so I was delighted with how it turned out. The tubes of writing icing were a lot trickier to use than I had expected but it was a lot of fun decorating. 
She was thrilled with the cake and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. 







2 comments:

  1. LOOKS DELICIOUS, nothing I would love a slice more of on this monday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your Breaking Bad cake, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!